IMT - Imposto Municipal sobre Transmissões de Imóveis (Municipal Property Transfer Tax), is a tax levied on onerous transfers of the right of ownership or of parts of that right, of immovable property located in Portuguese territory and of other situations that the law equates with onerous transfers of immovable property.
Depending on the nature of the purchase, the rate may vary:
- Rural property: 5%
- Urban buildings, exclusively for residential use: between 1% and 7.5%
- Urban buildings, exclusively for own permanent residence: up to 7.5%
- Other buildings and other acquisitions: 6.5%
- Buildings acquired by entities benefiting from a special tax regime: 10%
How do I calculate IMT?
The amount of IMT payable depends on the following variables:
- the purchase price of the property and the rate to be applied to that value
- the location - mainland Portugal or the Autonomous Regions of Madeira and the Azores
- the purpose - Own and Permanent Dwelling, Secondary Dwelling or rental, Rural Buildings and Others
Consult the IMT tables currently in force here
IMT and IS Simulator